Re: winter starts...

To: british-cars@encore.com
Subject: Re: winter starts...
From: garnett@theory.TN.CORNELL.EDU (Roger Garnett)
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 1990 09:37:46 EST
On Dec 10, 11:50am, Ken Seefried iii wrote:
} The question is: Is there a way to improve winter starts?
}
} I've put a bit lighter weight oil in it.  New battery (and
} alternator, but thats a different story).  Fresh anti-freeze.

This is all good stuff. Anything to make it turn over easier, and run better.
Tune up is important.
Here's a biggie- Adjust those chokes! You know- the part of
your carb system you just sort of fiddeled with when you set things up?
Make sure the mixture is getting properly enrichened, and the fast idle
cams are where they should be.

Other winter running hints:

Also readjust the main mixture. Winter gas has different additives, and
is more volitile. (Vapor lock just doesn't tend to be a problem in
winter) A little richer than normal running mixture may also be desireable.

You may also find that partially blocking the radiator helps the engine a
lot. (cardboard, or canvas behind the grill)
Why do you think the Busses and Big rigs have those radiator covers on?

Most of all- Keep your car washed down! Corrosion protection is pretty
minimal on british cars. Flush out the insides of the rockers, fenders,
wheel wells, underside, etc.