mail, timing, rebuilds...

To: british-cars@pinocchio.encore.com
Subject: mail, timing, rebuilds...
From: Stardent.COM!jmuller@bu.edu (Jim Muller)
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 90 11:11:02 EST
Intrepid leader, Dale Cook, Ovr Fovnder, New Keeper Of The Flickering Flame
(we gotta' get shorter titles!), has written "Anyway, recently we have had
some strange things caused by the repeaters."  All I can say, Dale, is
"Welcome to the *new* british-cars."  It's a lot bigger now than when you
gave it to me two years ago.  (Thanks for taking it up again.)

About the Clymers manuals giving wrong timing settings, in the case of my
Dasher, it wasn't just a matter of the usual concerns for timing like static
vs. rpm dependence, or altitude, or anything.  They described it right in
the text, but showed a picture that pointed out the wrong mark(s) to use!
Some poor fellow doing a timing for the first time would have tried to do
what the picture showed, and would have gotten it very, very wrong.

I've spoken to the guys doing my Spitfire engine.  It is now completely
apart, and showing signs of great mileage.  The crank will need grinding
for 10-over bearings.  Bores were tapered and one was oval, need re-boring
with 20-over pistons (zowie, more displacement!).  The cam did indeed have
one nearly-circular lobe.  The clutch disk (which I put in two years ago)
had two cracks.  (Yipes!  How'd that happen?  Glad it didn't send pieces
through the bellhousing at 6000 rpm.)  Will take the opportunity to check
the front tranny oil seal; something, either the engine or the tranny, was
dropping oil all over my garage floor through the bellhousing.  (What's
that?  A British car is *supposed* to do that?  Oh, okay.  Nevermind.)
Maybe I'll have them put in those front shocks that have been sitting on
my shelf for two years, too.  When it is done, I'll have a much better car!

And I'll be poorer by a substantial amount.  With that expense and several
other upgrades planned, my automotive expenditures are running way beyond
what I've expected.  And since my time is also extremely short these days,
I have concluded that my TR-6 has mutated into a Government Project and
is now a good candidate for the Golden Fleece Award.  If Senator Proxmire
doesn't give me one within the next week, I'll sell it, if for no other
reason than to reclaim my driveway space.  (And besides, there is a guy in
Connecticut who has an original-owner, BRG w/wirewheels 1969 Spitfire Mk 3
for sale for about $1000 that I'd really like to consider.)  Well, I don't
know if I'll really consider buying that Mk 3, but it will keep, since the
guy isn't in that big a hurry to get rid of it.  (And I am looking to buy
another guitar soon, which will drop several k$ off our treasury :-(. )

So my TR-6 is up for sale.  Very early 1974.  Not running.  Mostly there,
but with some cosmetic things missing.  A long story, but should be easily
restorable.  Body and frame mostly fine, but with some significant repairs
required (new driver's-side floor, for example).  Michelin Redlines, still
useable but not new.  Engine turns by hand, so is not frozen.  Make offer.
(One day, I *will* own a 6-cylinder LBC that runs!  [Keep telling yourself
that, Jim...maybe it will come true someday.])

mjb, I know, I owe you a carb body.  Don't despair.  Thanks for all the help,
but I'm pushing a big rock up a large hill right now.

Jim Muller
508-287-0100 ext 201  work
617-891-0258          home