New to the list

To: british-cars@encore.com
Subject: New to the list
From: bobj@meaddata.com (Robert Jones)
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 90 15:33:42 EST
Well, Dale suggested those of us who are new to the mailing list write
about how we got involved in British cars.  So here it is.  Last
spring I decided I wanted to get a convertible, however my budget
didn't allow for too much.  I watched the ads for about a month, until
I found a '75 MGB advertised for $500.  It was pretty rusty and didn't
run very well, but I figured what the heck, so I bo ught it.  Well so
far I have logged a grand total of about 10 miles on the thing, so
figure about $50 a mile.  I have considered selling it, but with
winter approaching, I doubt it would be easy to sell.  Besides, I
still would like to get it going.  I found out about this mailing list
because afew weeks ago, I asked people on rec.autos.tech for their
advice on taking a course in engine rebuilding at a local vocational
school.  Someone who replied suggested I join this mailing list.

   Everyone who replied said I should fix the car, so I think I am going
to give it a shot, although I am probably not going to take the class.
It starts in two weeks and I just don't have time between now and then
to get the engine out of the car.  Besides I managed to get through
electrical engineering without going to class much :-)

   Anyway, here are a few more details about the car.  It has a '72
engine and will start and run, but only if I spray starter fluid into
the carbs.  The valve train rattles pretty badly, even though I just
adjusted the valves.  Actually it rattles and shakes more now, but it
is more steady.  For example, before I did anything, it was pretty
quiet at idle but got really loud as the rpms went up.  Now it is a
little louder at idle, but doesn't get as bad as the rpms go up.  It
is not a pleasent sound, though.  When I bought it the guy said the
compression on the number 2 cylinder was bad.  I finally got a
compression gauge and to my suprise compression was within spec on all
4 cylinders.  Cylinder 1 was 140 psi, the other 3 were 160 psi, dry,
compression went up about 10-20 psi per cylinder with a little oil
squirted in.

    What should I do to this car to get it running?  According to stuff I
have read (Haynes and Chilton manuals and a generic auto mechanic
book) I figure the carbs need to be rebuilt.  What should I do to
quiet the valve noise (it is pretty loud, I haven't taken it over 3000
rpms cause it sounds like it is going to blow up)?  Any and all advice
would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Bob Jones
bobj@meaddata.com