RE>Re- Mouse, the Jag that

To: british-cars@encore.com
Subject: RE>Re- Mouse, the Jag that
From: Jerry Kaidor <Jerry_Kaidor.ENGINTWO@engtwomac.synoptics.com>
Date: 4 Jan 91 16:12:44
    -- The other thing that inhibits electrolysis, is to eschew the stuff that
comes out of your tap.  Go down to the local grocery and get a couple gallons
of distilled water.  ALWAYS use DISTILLED water in cooling systems!  Since pure
water is an insulator, you avoid electrolysis problems.  Not only that, you
avoid having that hard white stuff build up on your block passages.  That hard
white stuff is not a good thermal conductor, and it greatly decreases the
thermal-transfer efficiency of your cooling system.  And, the white mineral
deposits are very tenacious.
Miracle radiator flushes won't remove them.  Even having the block hot-tanked
won't remove them.  However, if you run distilled water, they
will gradually dissolve back into the water!  I believe that distilled water is
even more important for cooling systems than for batteries.

     Here's a quick and simple test for electrolysis/corrosion... Take a
voltmeter,  ground one probe, and stick the other into your coolant at the
radiator fill hole.  A system in bad condition will show some voltage on the
meter.... No, I don't know offhand what numbers to expect.

       - Jerry Kaidor