More ignition coils and resistors - and other stuff

To: british-cars@encore.com
Subject: More ignition coils and resistors - and other stuff
From: ks5k@uvacs.cs.Virginia.EDU
Date: Wed, 9 Jan 91 17:32:25 EST
        The car is a '79 Spitfire, and the new coil is an Allison
Tru-Chrome.

        We all agreed that there is a Ballast resistor built into the
harness, between the solenoid and the coil.  On my car (which also has
an Allison XR-700 ignition) I see another gizzmo hanging off the
old coil which is not in either the Bentley or Haynes Wiring diagram.
It is a small 3/4" diameter by 1" canister, that has a single green
pigtail lead and a light green round face.  It mounts to the foot of
the coil stand and has 2 markings: "1x uF" (the x= either a "0" or
a "5", Unfortunately I didn't write it down)  and "150v". I assume with
these markings it is a capacitor, but what is it for?

Other stuff:

        Allison/Crane Cams is a great company, I really like their
products.  But I was kinda ticked when they make their coils a bit fatter
than usual and don't include a mounting bracket, rather it is "optional
equiptment", for $30, you should get $.50 worth of metal - and maybe make
a chrome version extra for people with fancy engines.

        Here is a question that I hope doesn't start a deluge: I saw a
beautiful big Healey, it was pristine.  However it turned out to be a
kit car with a 455 in it.  How many Healey parts would have to be in a
car to be a healey?  What if you had a rust bucket, but the fiber glass
shell on it, used the original motor, and suspension (if possible).
Could you justify putting the original Healey badges on it?

        Community colleges are great.  The local one here is offering
a body shop course this Spring complete with full body shop equipt and
space for $60.  You even get to work on your own car if you want.

Regards,
KTS