Re: Re: MBG Engine Rebuild (3)

To: Roland Dudley <cobra@dtc.hp.com>, british-cars@encore.com
Subject: Re: Re: MBG Engine Rebuild (3)
From: zursch%whizkid.wpd.sgi.com@SGI.COM (Kid Redshift)
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 91 13:41:27 PST
        What do you consider assembly lube?  I've just use engine oil myself.
        I've seen white chassis(?)  grease used.  Some one once suggested using
        STP to me (is that stuff still around?)  but I suspect that STP would
        tend to block oil passages, especially when its cold.  Understand that
        it's a terrific hand cleaner though.

White grease is used very successfully by lots of people. The claim is that it
dissipates faster than graphite moly-lube. I use moly-lube, but mostly
because that's what I have on hand.

The STP thing is not just STP. For an assembly lube, use equal parts of
STP oil treatment and whatever oil you are going to break the car in on.
This dissipates the fastest, and has the added advantage of staying put.
Apparently, if you build the engine and the store it for a while before
running it, the STP and oil mixture doesn't run down into the sump and
it coats things well. (Maestro Harry Pellow calls it "secret sauce")

        Another suggestion I've heard is to install pistons "dry" to facilitate
        rapid ring seating.  I'm not sure I could bring myself to do this, at
        least not in an engine paid for out of my own pocket.

Yikes, me neither!

JZ
"If a car is 'unsafe at any speed' I'll take 120"
                                         - Kid Redshift