value of a TR7

To: british-cars%encore.com@RELAY.CS.NET
Subject: value of a TR7
From: "Teriann J. Wakeman" <twakeman@APPLE.COM>
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 91 11:02:26 -0800
I have just run across a dead TR7 drophead sitting in a storage lot.  I asked
the person there about its condition & if it were for sale.  He mentioned that
it was in the lot when the present owners purchased it approx 2.5 years ago.
They have no idea who owns it. No money has been paid for its storage during
that time.  The company has placed a lein on it & expects it to be theirs by
the end of Jan.  They currently plan to fix it & sell it.

The car is a white with baige interior TR7 drophead with the extra bump on
the bonnet that signifies a late TR7. The top is up but is not covering
a rear corner of the interior. The transmission is missing [the guy said it
was in the trunk]. Poping the bonnet showed it to be a carburated engine.
The body looks good. A glance at the rear plates revield that it was last
registered in '84.  I did not get a look at the odometer.

I was thinking of making an offer {just what i need, a second project car},
but do not have a good idea of its present value.  I assume the transmission
is history, & that all the hydrolics need rebuilding & may have frozen
pistons.  I also assume that the engine may need some TLC since it has been
sitting so long.  It goes to say that the battrery must also be history.
The top looks ratty & the back windows are quite yellow.  The interior looks
intact, but dusty & there probably is some water dammage from where the top
was lose.

I assume that as a minimum, it will need a used/rebuilt transmission, clutch,
rebuilding kits for all hydrolics & maybe replacement cylinders for some,
a new battery, and a new top to get the car back on the road. My guess is that
the lein is for $525.

What is the price of a TR7 5 speed? Any guessitmits as to the TR's current value
Sense I am in the midst of the TR3 rebuild  & am trying to figgure out how to
best fit into a GT6+ I would be foolish to get another project car & let it
sit until the TR3 is finished but .....

TeriAnn