Re: TRF price list on line?

To: kent@parc.xerox.com, british-cars@encore.com
Subject: Re: TRF price list on line?
From: garnett@theory.TN.CORNELL.EDU (Roger Garnett)
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 1991 10:56:00 EST
On Jan 21, 11:10pm, kent@parc.xerox.com wrote:
} Subject: TRF price list on line?
} Then it occurred to me to ask -- since I believe that someone from TRF
} is reading this. So, how about it? I'd be more than happy to pay,
} certainly something reasonable for the media, and even a premium for
} the convenience.

I don't think this is too far in the future. I would love to have the
price list in machine readable form. All it would take would be
a comma or tab dilimited text file- that would read into just about
any spreadsheet or database program. Publishing costs for a disk
might well be cheaper than paper. It would probably need to be available
on PC and Mac disks- they are the most common. Being about the only one
to offer a price list on disk could also be a good marketing tool- due
to the ease of use, it would be one more reason to use one vendor over
another. Security of the data isn't much of an issue- If a competitor
wants to compare prices, they can now, and it's not real hard
to scan the sheets into machine readable form, if it's worth having.
It's all a matter of convience.
        An on-line price list wouldn't be real pratical, due to connect
time hogging the phone list. But, given the choice of a printed price
list vs. disk, I'd take the disk.
Roger Garnett  (garnett@THEORY.TN.CORNELL.EDU) (607) 255-2522
Cornell University Agricultural Economics       Ithaca, N.Y.