Mini Steering Problems

To: british-cars@encore.com
Subject: Mini Steering Problems
From: sss3@ukc.ac.uk
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 91 11:51:06 +0000
Hi Chaps,

Had a bit of a shunt in my 76 Mini Clubman last month and made a mess of the
steering rack, hit a kerb stone in a car park (don't ask!) and the engine
bent the rack.  Anyway, the rack was dutifully replaced and off I went again.

However, I have noticed that as I proceed down the motorway at a stately 80 odd
the steering progressively stiffened, as it turned out, the rack had been
bolted into place before the column was fitted and so the splines at the base
of the column were not fitted correctly, this gave the impression that the
column was bent.

Anyway, the problem is now solved and she drives nicely again, now if I can
just get the brakes to stop fading.........

Shane Sturrock, Biol Lab.  Canterbury, Kent, Great Britain.