Surprises in Hayward (CA) Pick-your-part

To: "british-cars@encore.com"@HERMES.intel.com
Subject: Surprises in Hayward (CA) Pick-your-part
From: dstone@sc9.intel.com (D. STONE 5-9521, BPR: 237-2322")
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 91 05:59:56 PST
          Yesterday as my girlfriend & I were exploring thru
     the Hayward Pick-n-pull (pick-your-part, whatever, the
     one located on Winton ave.), we came across a few cars
     that seemed truly out of place and just plain
     blasphemous that they were even there in the first
     place. There amongst the rotting Pinto carcasses, were:

     *An early sixties either Riley 1.5 or Woseley, 4dr.
     sedan, complete but rough.

     *Same vintage Peugeot 4dr. sedan with sliding sunroof
     and roofrack, complete but rough.

     *2 late 50"s-early 60's Mercedes 4dr. sedans, one
     complete and rough, the other incomplete and very
     rough.

     The sad thing about these cars is that they were there
     not because of some accident, but of neglect. All 4
     cars looked like they had just been pulled out of
     someone's garage after sitting for years, ie. rat's
     nests, musty smell, and since 99% of the people who go
     to this yard wouldn't have a clue what any of this
     stuff is, very soon they will all be crushed and sold
     for their weight only ($ 25.00 per ton I think).
          The same thing nearly occurred at the San Jose
     Pick-n-pull two weeks ago when I stumbled across a '52
     Crosley Super Sport slated for the crusher. Luckily it
     found a good home first.
          And you ask why I don't take one home ? Two
     Sprites, a big Riley and three daily drivers are
     already far more than my one-car garage can hold. And
     the neighbors would kill me.... FYI Hayward P-n-p # is
     (408) 270-9111.