Re: Electrical systems, Fuses (fwd)

To: british-cars@encore.com
Subject: Re: Electrical systems, Fuses (fwd)
From: augi@cbmvax.cbm.commodore.com (Joe Augenbraun)
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 91 11:15:51 EDT
Forwarded message:

>From John Taylor:
} One question about fuses - the handbook specifies fuses which run at 17 amps
} continuously (give or take a bit) but blow at about twice this current.  I
have
} yet to see a fuse which shows both values, so should I be using "standard" 17
} or 35 amp fuses?  At the moment I assume the rating on ordinary fuses is the
} blowing current (so I have 35 A fuses)

Genuine Lucas fuses are marked with dual markings, for instance 17/35.  They
have different blowing characteristics than any conventional glass fuse, and
using regular fuses can result in kentucky fried wiring harness.  I've always
used Lucas fuses, and have never had a problem.  Aside from a propensity to
corrode over the course of 10 or 15 years, they are perfectly reliable.  They
are also easily available from any decent british parts supplier.

(I suspect they are regular slo blo fuses with bizarre ratings, i.e. the 17/35
probably really is a 17 amp slo blo fuse).

                                                        Joe