Re: California taxes

To: zursch@whizkid.wpd.sgi.com (Rex Racer) (Rex Racer)
Subject: Re: California taxes
From: Dick Nyquist <dickn@hpspdln.spd.hp.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Aug 91 9:21:13 PDT

|       From british-cars-local-request@Pa.dec.com  Thu Aug  1 13:52:44 1991
|       >What on earth are these bills for? I mean, when do you pay this
|       >tax? When you buy a car? When you have work done to it? When
|       >you reregister every year?
|

| Yes, well, I know they're for revenue, but I wasn't clear what exactly was
| being taxed. The market value of your car is already taxed as part of your
| annual registration fee. | Yeah, but I'm *REALLY* sick of it.
|
| JZ

Well the value is not your what your registration fee is based on with an old
car (particularly if it has apreciated). A few years ago an old Triumph or MG
cost a few hundred$. Today some of them depending on condition and modle, and
how many have been exported to our friends in Europe or Japan, may have gone
to several thousand$. How would you like like to have the licence fee on your
car go from ~$30 to ~$500. Would they do it equally to all tr3s without looking
at them?
Or would they take them to an inspection station, where some under qualified
gaspump jocky would say "Golly Gomer, that's a nice one....Kinda looks like a
Furrarrri"?
To which I respond "*&*##!!@" (like Donald Duck)

..........this could happen to you............

/dickn