Re: Rubber ends for handbrake cables

To: Joe Flake <71151.1546@compuserve.com>, British Cars <british-cars@hoosier>
Subject: Re: Rubber ends for handbrake cables
From: sggy@crux1.cit.cornell.edu (Roger Garnett)
Date: Thu, 2 Apr 1992 09:08:40 -0500
Joe Flake scribed:
 Subject: Rubber ends for handbrake cables
> With all the wonderful replacement odds and ends that folks like TRF
> and Moss carry, why doesn't someone have the xxx

Because there are some things they just don't want the bother of carrying
as a small part. :-(  There are many examples of this- the supplier
obviously has all the parts (for new manufacture parts anyhow), but
is selling a complete assembly. Someone else probably made the boot,
and it wasn't worth tracking it down, listing, and stocking.

Another example- there's a little plastic/phonolic button inside of
a Spridget hydraulic cylinder (Clutch slave, I think), that doesn't
come with the rebuild kit, only with complete assemblys. (~$30+)
Mine was broken. So, I spent about 2 hours of machine shop time
making a new one, out of a stronger material. But, it would cost
too much to *pay* to have done. Heck, I could tool up to make something
like that at a reasonable cost, but Moss, TRF, etc. still might not be
interested. (I asked Moss, in fact. They said something to the effect
that they already have suppliers who could make them, if they felt there
was a market.) The problem isn't that it's not available, but that
you have to buy the whole assembly to get it.

Another- I think you can usually buy a light (turn signal, side marker)
lens, or a complete assembly, but not just the core fixture.
That's the case with a *lot* of new car parts.

I'd love to have a list of desirable parts which could be moulded or
machined, and see what could be made.
   ________
  /___  _  \        Roger Garnett              (Roger_Garnett@cornell.edu)
 /|   ||  \ \       Agricultural Economics   | "The South Lansing Centre
| |___||  _  |      3 Warren Hall            |  For Wayward Sports Cars"
| | \  |   | |      Cornell University       | (Lansing, NY)
 \|  \ |__/ /       Ithaca, N.Y. 14853       | (607) 533-7735
  \________/        (607) 255-2522           | Safety Fast!