English Fords

To: british-cars%hoosier.utah.edu@uunet.uu.net
Subject: English Fords
From: archer@hsi86.hsi.com (Garry Archer)
Date: Thu, 2 Apr 92 11:49:47 -0500
Earlier I wrote:
> Of the old English Fords, [the Anglia] is very desirable! ...
>  ... It was one of Britain's "American" style Fords.  Little eyelids over
> the headlights and moderate little tailfins over the rear lights.

While I was writing this I was instantly reminded of another English Ford
of obvious American styling influence.

The Capri built by Ford beginning in 1969 was one of Britain's favourite
(modern day) cars.  I've had a couple here in the U.S. (a 1972 4 cyl 2000cc
and a 1976 V6 2.8 Litre "Black Cat").  They were easily identified by their
short rear deck on the Mark I, or the versatile hatch on subsequent versions,
and the long bonnet.

But the 1969 Capri wasn't the first Ford Capri.

Back in 1962 thru 1964 Ford made two versions of a Capri:  the 116E and
the GT.  These were saloons that looked like they had been snatched
straight out of America.  The long bonnet with two headlamps either
side of a narrow grill with five four-pointed stars along it.  The lamps
were recessed slightly and gave the impression that the bonnet and wings
formed small "eyelids" over them.  The cabin had a nice curved top that
sloped gently down to the _long_, "un-Capri-like" boot.  The rear wings had
small tailfins that seemed to originate all the way from the headlamps (!!!)
in a line that passed along the front wings, along the door and then slowly
widened out along the rear wings into full tailfins over the rear lights.
My description may not be all that good, but I think you would agree that
if you saw one you would consider the styling very classic.

The 1963-64 Capri GT fixed head coupe had a 4 cyl, 1498 cc engine with
78 bhp at 5200 rpm.  It had a top speed of about 95 mph and a 0-50 mph
of 9.8 seconds.

The styling of the Capri was continued in other Fords.  The cabin reappeared
on the later Capris of 1969.  The tailfin-line, from headlamp to rear lights
appeared on the 1963 Mark I Cortina, but the tailfin was so subdued it was
hardly regarded as a "tailfin" per se.  But that line, or "ridge" if you
like, is there.

Anyone else remember the old (1962-64) Capri?

        - Garry Archer