Re: switching from restoration to maintenance

To: Scott Alexander <salex@jpl-devvax.jpl.nasa.gov>
Subject: Re: switching from restoration to maintenance
From: Scott Fisher <sfisher@wsl.dec.com>
Date: Mon, 06 Apr 92 11:08:01 PDT
    Unfortunately, on Sunday, I ran into a starting problem.  Each time I
    went to restart the car, I'd turn the key, get a solenoid click and
    that was that.  The red "not charging" light would dim slightly so
    something was drawing power, but the starter wasn't turning.

Couple of possibilities:

  - Bad wiring to the starter.  Clean up the connections going to the
    solenoid

    Also, the speedometer is on the list of things to be fixed.  In the
    mean time, does anyone know off the top of their head what the tach
    should be reading for 55 in 4th gear?  Mine is a '69 if that matters.
    I made my own estimate, but either everyone in LA has started
    driving much slower or I'm off by a little bit.

Here's the text of a message I sent out to Michael Wilson a while ago
on the subject:

It works out to just about 18.6 mph/1000 RPM.  So some popular speeds
among law enforcement officials give the following RPMs:

    25 mph      1350 RPM
    35 mph      1880 RPM
    45 mph      2400 RPM
    55 mph      2950 RPM
    65 mph      3500 RPM

If you really want to be exact, find the circumference of your wheels,
divide the RPM by 3.9 and work out the speed in units per minute that
way.  For instance, with a 165SR14 tire, according to Roger's nifty
diameter chart, the circumference works out to 76.93 inches.  Figure
that at 3300 RPM at the flywheel, divided by 3.9 (the stock rear axle
ratio), the rear wheels make 846.15 revolutions per minute.  Multiply
that times the circumference and the car travels 65,101 inches per
minute.  (Wow!  That's really impressive! :-)  A mile is 63,360 inches,
so the car is traveling at 1.02 miles per minute, or 1.02 times 60 to
get miles per hour, or 61.6 miles per hour.  Using the 18.6/1000 ratio
above, you'd get 61.38, so the error is fairly small.

Oh, and 5400 RPM is The Ton.  Not that you'd ever want to drive that
fast... ahem.