Weber and Oil Cooler, MGB

To: british-cars@hoosier
Subject: Weber and Oil Cooler, MGB
From: bobj@meaddata.com (Robert Jones)
Date: Mon, 6 Apr 92 15:10:19 EDT
Yesterday while messing around with the MGB ('74), I discovered there
was gasoline leaking out of the bottom of the carb (Weber 45 DCOE).
The leak seemed to have been coming from a loose bolt on the underside
of the carb to the left of the float plate screws (left when facing the
carb from the air cleaner side with the carb right side up).  Actually
it seemed like there was a matching bolt on the right side too, but it
didn't seem to be leaking (it was tough to tell, there was gas all over the
underside of the Weber.)  I went ahead and tightened the bolts and that
seemed to stop the leaking.  What I want to know is what are those bolts
for (they seemed like they were just plugs) and how tight should
they be?  The book I have on Webers (Pat Braden, HPBooks) wasn't much help.

Also, while on the subject of Webers, which direction should you turn the
idle adjustment screws to lower the idle speed?  My car idles at about
1000-1200 rpm when you come up to a stop after driving, than after a few
seconds, the idle drops to about 700 rpm and stumbles somewhat.  My theory
is the idle is too high and after a few seconds, the plugs of two of the
cylinders get fouled so the idle drops down and it runs on only two cylinders.
What do you think?  The car does seem to run rich and I still keep
meaning to order some jets from the Fat Chance Garage.

If you remember a couple of weeks ago I posted about problems with high
oil pressure (like pretty much pegged at 100 psi) after installing an
oil cooler.  Going on the theory that I had a restriction in the cooler
that was causing the rise in pressure, I pulled the cooler out and put the
original hose back in.  It helped somewhat, although I still have oil
pressure of almost 100 psi until the engine is really warmed up, then it
drops to about 70 psi while moving and 50 psi at idle.

Roger Garnett mentioned before that I might have a bad pressure relief
valve.  Is this a serious problem?  How can I check it and is it easily
replaced?  My other theory is that maybe my oil pressure gauge reads high.
I haven't noticed any oil squirting out anywhere from the high pressure.

What would be a good way to check out my oil cooler?  It does look like
it is bent a little where one of the hoses is attached and this could
have put a kink in the metal which restricts the flow. Or it could be that
the cooler just kept the oil cool and it doesn't flow as easily. (No
I don't have a thermostat for it, I suppose I should get one.)

Well, this has gotten kind of long, so I leave my other questions (and
I have several :-) for another time.

Thanks,

Bob