Re: Weber and Oil Cooler, MGB

To: jtw@lcs.mit.edu
Subject: Re: Weber and Oil Cooler, MGB
From: pwv@tc.fluke.COM (Pat Vilbrandt)
Date: Thu, 9 Apr 92 09:56:15 PDT
> From: John Wroclawski <jtw@lcs.mit.edu>
>
>    From: Robert Jones <bobj@meaddata.com>
>
>    BTW, I'm running Castrol 20W-50.  I suppose I could switch to a lighter
>    oil but this seems like it would only treat the symptom.
>
> This seems a little heavy for an engine in good condition. Any reason
> not to go to 10W-40?

Yes, but only if you plan on leaving it in your engine for more than about
3000 mi. (or 6 months, whichever comes first! :^)

This has been debated quite a bit here in the past, but the summary is:
the large amount of viscosity enhancers that need to be added to the 10W
base stock to get a 10W-40 oil make it unstable over temperature and time.
10W-30 (or 20W-50) don't have near the amount of enhancers, so don't have
the stability problem that 10W-40 has.  (In most new cars you will void
your engine warranty if you use 10W-40!)

   Pat Vilbrandt       John Fluke Mfg. Co., Inc.        Everett, Washington USA
UUCP: pwv@tc.fluke.COM  or: { uunet, uw-beaver, sun, microsoft }!fluke!pwv
ARPA: fluke!pwv@uw-beaver.ARPA

        "Read dozens of books about Heros and Crooks, and I learned much
                 from both of their styles."
                                        - J. Buffet,  Son of a Son of a Sailor