Weber and Oil Cooler, MGB

To: chrysanthemum!sol@hoosier
Subject: Weber and Oil Cooler, MGB
From: taylor!randy
Date: Tue Apr 7 00:39:56 1992
Robert Jones writes:
>restriction that was causing a rise in pressure, I pulled the cooler out

The oil pressure gauge pickup is down stream of the cooler. If the cooler
was restricted, it would show less pressure.

>Roger Garnett mentioned before that I might have a bad pressure relief
>valve. Is this a serious problem? How can I check it, and is it easily
>replaced?

I agree, if you call stuck "bad". It can be a very serious problem. High
pressure can deform the bearings. It can blow out your new oil cooler.
I've seen one that blew the oil filter off, putting a dent in the bonnet.

Chekcing it is easy. It's behind an external plug on the lower left hand
corner of the block. Easy to spot, it's over an 1" (1-1/16 I think), and
has a dome in the middle of the hex. Taking this out, you should find a
fairly massive spring behind it. Total parts you should be able to get
out are: The plug, and it's copper sealing ring. The spring. Maybe
a shim washer. And, lastly, the bullet shaped valve. If it slides out,
it's not stuck. Then you suspect a faulty gauge.

MGB's should pull 70 to 75 psi oil pressure, max. If the motor is in
really tight shape, and has real oil in it, it will hold this even at
hot idle. I get worried when the pressure goes below 40 at idle.

   Randy
    randy@taylor(.uucp)