Early Spitfire OD tranny

To: british-cars@hoosier
Subject: Early Spitfire OD tranny
From: spit@neuro.duke.edu (Michael Burdick)
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 92 10:30:52 EDT
I have recently come into possession of an OD transmission for a MkIII
Spitfire.  It is complete except for the 3 rail shift assembly.  I have
an extra one for the non-OD tranny that I can use but it does not have
the levers and switches that keep the OD from engaging in reverse, 1st
and 2nd.  From looking at shop manuals, catalogs, and parts lists, I
think I have pieced together what things should look like:

There is a bracket mounted on the front of the cover which holds a switch.
This switch is operated by a control arm that is somehow connected to the
shaft between the gear lever and the arm that moves the fork.  When the
shift lever is in either 3rd or 4th position, the switch is depressed,
allowing the OD to engage.

On my non-OD shift assembly, the shaft mentioned above is drawn up inside
the housing in 1st and 3rd making it impractical to try to mount the
control arm on it!  There is no mention of a longer shaft for the OD tranny
in the parts books.  It seems like this is what is needed though.  Does
someone have an OD tranny they could look at and tell me how it is set up?

Thanks,
Mike Burdick

What the heck:  does anyone have a spare OD shifter for sale?