Re: Early Spitfire OD tranny

To: british-cars@hoosier, mit-eddie!neuro.duke.edu!spit@EDDIE.MIT.EDU
Subject: Re: Early Spitfire OD tranny
From: muller@Alliant.COM (Jim Muller)
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 92 13:04:41 EDT
Just a thought on the lockout switch for the Spitfire's OD.  One of the
criticisms of the automags' was that it couldn't be used in 2nd, unlike
the OD of the bigger TR's.  I can confirm that, yes, there are time when
OD would be nice on 2nd.  (1st would seem kinda' silly, but I really don't
know.)  However, you absolutely want a switch there because if you ever
put it into reverse with OD engage, it will damage the clutch lining of
the OD, or so "they" say.  (You can't always rely on your determination
never to let that happen.)

Now, engagement-of-reverse is already detected so as to light a back-up
light.  Why not use it via a relay of some sort to dis-able the OD?  That
way you could have OD in 2nd (and 1st too, if you were so inclined).  I
mean, if you're gonna' go through all the trouble to kludge up something,
why not make it useful.  Plus, this would be easier to do, I would guess.

Jim Muller