Re: Land Rovers Land Rovers Land Rovers Land Rovers Land Rovers...

To: sol@hoosier
Subject: Re: Land Rovers Land Rovers Land Rovers Land Rovers Land Rovers...
From: acg@hermes.dlogics.com
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 1992 12:02:37 CDT
Ross Williamson <rw1@st-andrews.ac.uk> writes:
> 1) I need to take a shim or two out of one of the swivel pins because
> there is a nasty "clunk" when cornering and some play in one of the
> front road wheels. The problem is - the big bolts that hold the
> shims and pin are solid with 15 years of rust and mud - how do I
> get the bolts out.

> 2) For that matter - what is the best way to get out really rusty bolts,
> when all the usual penetrating fluid and wire brushing has failed?

        I have two strategies, depending on circumstances -- take your pick:

        1) Vital bolt, or needs to be reused if at all possible, reasonable
           access (e.g. bumper-to-frame bolts): Heat the thing with a torch
           until it glows, then zap it with a good impact wrench. A large
           hand wrench/spanner may be used in a pinch, but you will gain a
           quick understanding of how heat sinks work, and you have only a
           short time to get the nut/bolt off before cooling takes away the
           thermal expansion and you have to heat it all over again.

        2) Not vital bolt, or corroded beyond recognition anyway, or with poor
           accessibility (e.g. shock absorber/damper mounts): If you can see
           it, you should have enough room to snake a drill bit in, using an
           extension if necessary. Drill a pilot hole through it with a small
           bit, then repeat with larger and larger drill bits until you've
           drilled the offending bolt/nut into oblivion. A weird approach, I
           admit, but it works for limited-access situations and cases where
           excessive heat or overtorquing can damage the surrounding hardware.

Andrew C. Green
Datalogics, Inc.      Internet: acg@dlogics.com
441 W. Huron          UUCP: ..!uunet!dlogics!acg
Chicago, IL  60610    FAX: (312) 266-4473