RE: Spit OD

To: twakeman@apple.com
Subject: RE: Spit OD
From: Greg Tobin/ 21064-AA <tobin@neagp.enet.dec.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 92 13:39:37 PDT
   TeriAnn-

    Well, reverse isn't a problem for me...   It is much like a motorcycle
 in this respect; I use my feet to back up!    A couple of years back I pulled
 the motor and trans, and while I had the trans on the garage floor, I said
 "Let's replace the gear, it is all banged up, the teeth are mostly gone, and
 I can't back up right now."  I figured that the only reason the car wouldn't
 back up was that the teeth were shot to heck, and a straight replacement would
 be in order.   I counted the teeth, and ordered the matching piece.   Come
 spring, it's all back together, put it in reverse to back out of the garage,
 and (to quote Jerry) "CLANK!"- the previous owner had put the wrong gear in.
 It was all back together, worked great except for this, so I said to hell with
 it, I'll just drive it.  One of these days I'll put the correct gear in (and
 have a spare with one CLANK on it.)

    On a related note- what could be making the overdrive stick as it does?
 The wiring is good, the switch is good, could it be the solenoid? (at 150$,
 I hope not!)-  what kind of fluid makes this trans/overdrive happy?

Greg_it's_a_good_thing_spitfires_have_a_*tight*_turning_radius!