Webers

To: british-cars@hoosier
Subject: Webers
From: gerry@probe.att.com
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 92 14:04 EDT
Finally found sometime over the weekend to install the sidedraft Weber
on the Midget. The installeation was simple, remove the downdraft Weber
and manifold, and install the new manifold with carb attached. I had my
doubts that the sidedraft would fit, because with the installation of
a K&N filter, I thought the filter housing would be touching the inside
fender. No need to fear, although I have about 1/8th" clearance.

Made up a new throttle cable and mount, connected the choke cable, fuel
line (although I still have to fit the regulator), and I was ready to
crank and crank, and crank. The fuel float chamber took about 1 minute
of cranking to fill up, but once it was full, it started right up.

I have not played about with the jets yet (although it certainly needs
it), but the increase in power is wonderfull. The engine seems so much more
willing to rev, just a blip on the throttle has the rev counter hitting 6500
rpm (just how I like it !!!). I have been driving the car for a couple of
days and there seems to be a lot more guts under my right foot, although
there are some flat spots on the torque curve (due to jets).

Fuel economy, what fuel economy ?. I manage to get 160 miles out of a tankfull
which I calcualted to 22.81 mpg (I used to get 24-26 mpg with the downdraft)

Next week I shall be playing with the jets and see what difference that
makes (at the moment I am running way too rich)

Gerry

Also getting the rally car ready for the Susquehana Pro-Rally in June,
I shall be doing the Pagoda Hillclimb in mid May as a shake down for the
Pro-rally. I have been working constantly for 6 weeks now on both cars
just getting them ready for some events coming up. The poor old Scimitar
is still in the drive way waiting for me to install the carpetting (it has
been like that for 1 year now - how time flies)