Re: marque??

To: lupienj@hpwarq.wal.hp.com (John Lupien)
Subject: Re: marque??
From: pwcs.StPaul.GOV!phile@medtron.medtronic.COM (Philip J Ethier)
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 92 13:07:25 CDT
John Lupien writes:

>"Misled"? Is that pronounced "mizzld"?

"I don't think it is stupid to have read more words in English than one has
heard pronounced"  - Hew in "How Green Was My Valley"

As I recall, it was Macbeth that was mizzld.

My spellchecker offered "mizzled" as well as "misled" for the incorrect
"mizzld".

So I could not resist.  Having never realized this was a word, I looked it up!

Webster's New Collegiate Dictionary, 1980:

1. mizzle ('miz-el) vi mizzled; missling: to rain in very fine drops

2. mizzle ('miz-el) vi mizzled; missling:  chiefly Brit.  to depart suddenly

Now, is that a complete spell-checker, or what?

Phil Ethier, THE RIGHT LINE, 672 Orleans Street, Saint Paul, MN  55107-2676
h (612) 224-3105     lotus@pnet51.orb.mn.org
w (612) 298-5324     phile@pwcs.stpaul.gov  (list goes here)
"The workingman's GT-40" - Anthony Colin Bruce Chapman

--
Login name: phile                       In real life: Philip J Ethier
Phone: 298-5324