Re: TR3 Generator Mountings

To: Jerry_Kaidor.ENGINTWO@engtwomac.synoptics.com, british-cars@hoosier
Subject: Re: TR3 Generator Mountings
From: pwv@tc.fluke.COM (Pat Vilbrandt)
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 92 16:14:38 PDT
Jerry-

When I got my TR4, it had many problems with the generator, the most
obvious being the wrong pulley was stuck on - a regular "narrow" one - with
no nut holding it on!  It was pretty comical to see it with the thick belt,
that it stayed on at all, and that the generator actually worked!

Anyway, to answer your question, the generator was also not quite lined up
correctly - it was slightly crooked.  When I took it off to install the
correct pulley & nut from the parts car's generator, I found that the
mounting holes, both in the spacer mounted to the "U" bracket and the alloy
brackets on the generator itself, were badly worn into ovals.  The mounting
brackets on the parts car generator were also worn, but not quite as
badly.  I assumed that it was probably a cronic problem with TR's.  I
swapped the mounts from the parts car generator onto the recently rebuilt
generator that was on the car and used an extra long bolt to attach the
front of the generator to the spacer.  That seemed to straighten it out, but
I'll have to look at it again to see if it is indeed truely "straight" now.

   Pat Vilbrandt       John Fluke Mfg. Co., Inc.        Everett, Washington USA
UUCP: pwv@tc.fluke.COM  or: { uunet, uw-beaver, sun, microsoft }!fluke!pwv
ARPA: fluke!pwv@uw-beaver.ARPA

        "Read dozens of books about Heros and Crooks, and I learned much
                 from both of their styles."
                                        - J. Buffet,  Son of a Son of a Sailor