Re: Horsepower ?

To: british-cars@hoosier
Subject: Re: Horsepower ?
From: lupienj@hpwarq.wal.hp.com (John Lupien)
Date: Fri, 1 May 92 16:11:50 EDT
>      (very bizarre explanation of horsepower using spheres &
>      horses deleted) ds
> Granted, horses come in different shapes, sizes and strength.  But does this
> explanation seem reasonable?

It may seem reasonable, but it is not true anyway. The spheres were an
attempt to demonstrate the strength of atmospheric pressure, and the
demonstration was quite effective. The horse-power experiment was quite another
involving some block & tackle, a large weight, and a quite large and strong
draft horse. The horse was worked pretty hard for it, too - the horsepower
unit that resulted is quite high for most horses.

--
---
John R. Lupien

        sfisher@wsl.dec.com Fri Sep 14 16:38:38 2001