Re: Horsepower ?

To: british-cars%hoosier.utah.edu@uunet.uu.net
Subject: Re: Horsepower ?
From: archer@hsi86.hsi.com (Garry Archer)
Date: Mon, 4 May 92 09:47:56 -0400
> berry@hawking.pei.com (Berry Kercheval) sez:
>said:
> John> It may seem reasonable, but it is not true anyway. The spheres were an
> John> attempt to demonstrate the strength of atmospheric pressure, and the
> John> demonstration was quite effective.
>
> Budding History of Science types might be interested to know that the
> experiment referred to is called "The Magdeburg Hemispheres".

Ok!  I stand corrected!  Told you I was possibly wrong!  After all, I
was trying to remember something from 23 years ago!  I did attempt to
lookup the origins of "horsepower" at home, but gave up when I started
to get too involved with "Henry V" on Public TV on Friday night.

Oh wot about Britcars, you say?

I went to the "1st Annual Jaguar Car Show" at Bitter Sweet Farms in
Branford, Connecticut, on Sunday.  There were only a dozen or so
cars there, but include two beautiful XK150s, one white, one BRG.
Also, a 3.8 Mk II (automatic).  I spent some time chatting to a bloke
who was selling his 1974 XJ12L.  He wasn't even sure how much it was
worth.  I hazarded a guesstimate, "$8000, probably more?  $9000?"
I told him his insurance company might have a better idea.  My guesses
came from what I thought I could remember the asking price of the odd
one I've seen in the local ads.

        Cheers!
        - Garry Archer