CLANK XVIII- The Clankster

To: british-cars@hoosier
Subject: CLANK XVIII- The Clankster
From: Jerry Kaidor <Jerry_Kaidor.ENGINTWO@engtwomac.synoptics.com>
Date: 4 May 92 09:15:09
   CLANK XVIII:  The Clankster hits the Road!

    The weekend's activity having left me with a roadworthy LBC, I naturally
took it to work this morning.  Thirty miles on city streets, being nice to the
engine to break it in.  The morning was cool and cloudy.  The Clankster started
easily, and moved out strongly.  I had a tool kit in the boot, just in case.
Oil pressure:  65 running, about 50 at idle.  The temperature stayed at a nice
cool 165.

   It took a bit of getting used to again, that no-synchro-in-first gearbox.
Now I need to snick it into second before putting it into first and driving
away...

   Apparently, the rebuilt Clankster now requires premium gas.  It pings, just
a bit, when pulling through second gear.  Oh, well.  At least I don't have to
put lead substitute in it any more.

   Going through Palo Alto, a fellow in a Mercedes convertible pulled up next
to me and yelled "I used to have one just like that".  We had a bit of a
conversation for a mile or so, yelling back and forth at each stop.  He told me
that he had had four TR3's and one TR2.  Just one of the small benefits of
driving an LBC!

   Carbs still need to be tuned, I said to myself at each stop. Idle was rough,
and I could smell the unburned hydrocarbons from the rich mixture.  Maybe a
mini-tune session at lunch?

      - Jerry