Ghost in the machine

To: british-cars@hoosier
Subject: Ghost in the machine
From: T.J. Noto <noto@twg.com>
Date: Mon, 4 May 1992 12:29:35 -0700
Well it finally happened. . .after two years of dormancy our beloved
prince of darkness hath struck me and my hapless B. . .there I was
on 85 in the usual 8:30 traffic. . .in goes the clutch . .snick her
in to first. . .release the clutch. .and CLUNK!. . .she stalled!. .
quickly through my mind raced the thought. . .I haven't stalled her
in months!. . .turn the ignition key and NOTHING. . .no horn. . no
radio (the presets all erased). . no nothing. . .I pushed her through
the carpool lane. . .sat there for a minute wondering what led to
this TOTAL ELECTRICAL DEBACLE. . then turned the key and vroom up
she came!! Now this intermittent problem is lurking somewhere in my
lil car just waiting for a dark deserted road at which time the demon
will strike me down cold. . .and let all the smoke out (which we all
know is the real motivator behind British electrics. . .the problem
occured when I was accelerating so it seems to be a wire somewhere
grounding as the weight shifts. . .I haven't peeked around anywhere
yet. . .thought maybe I'd confide in the vast knowledge and experience
of the estimable members of this group. . .the TeriAnn Types, the
Wolfman types. . .Jerry Kaidor. . .I could go on and on. . .anyhow
HELP. . .I know it is electrical I just don't know the best place
to begin. . .
        I feel like the guy who goes out to slay the JabberWock,
twas brillig and the slithey toves did gire and gimble in the wabe,
all mimsey were the burrow groves and the momes wrath out grabed. .

PS-the Monterey Motorcycle club rallye this weekend was a great time,
and my 69 Bonneville carried myself and my companion ably if not
quietly or smoothly over the 150 mile ride with only one or two
glitches!!
Thanks in advance for your help!
teej
--
TJ Noto                 66 MGB  69 Triumph Bonneville
The Wollongong Group