Re: Triumph 2000/Renown

To: Kantarjiev@parc.xerox.com
Subject: Re: Triumph 2000/Renown
From: Dick Nyquist <dickn@hpspdln.spd.hp.com>
Date: Wed, 6 May 92 13:44:58 PDT
>From Chris K
| Later, I read that the Ferguson tractors in question were actually
| being built by Standard for Ferguson to sell! So that's the real
| connection -- not only were Standard supplying the engines, but also the
|tractors...

TRUE
When I used to buy gasket sets for tr2, Fergusson was one of the several
other vehical listed on the package. I'm not sure how many years the
Fergussons were manufactured in the Standard plant, or how long the
use of the Vanguard engine in the tractor continued but it was a far number.

You always hear people refer to almost any older Britcar engine as having
come out of a tractor. As far as I know the wet slieved triumph engine is
the only one with a genuine tractor connection and that didn't come OUT OF
A TRACTOR and into a car. It was designed for the car but was so strong that
they put it in the tractors. When I was in Ireland last, I
saw a lot of Fergies but none old enough to run the Vanguard engine.
I'm not sure when fergusson discontinued it. Also it's only in the last 10
or 20 years that the majority of Irish farmers could afford a tractor.

Can anyone out there give dates for the tractor manufacture?
Dick