Re: Triumph 2000/Renown

To: Dick Nyquist <dickn@hpspdln.spd.hp.com>
Subject: Re: Triumph 2000/Renown
From: "Chris Kent Kantarjiev" <kent@parc.xerox.com>
Date: Wed, 6 May 1992 12:50:46 PDT
        This is the same engine used in early 50's Morgans and Fergusson
        tractors.

There it is again. I've heard this story and/or epithet for years now,
and have never really seen documentation of it -- just various comments
about common ancestry and such.

But while I was reading about the Renown, I saw something like confirmation:

"Too many people think the Vanguard engine [the engine in question -
cak] was a copy of a Continental design, which is nonsense. The
confusion is cause because the Ferguson tractor *was* build with
Continental engines while the new Standard unit was still under
development, but there is absolutely no other link between the two.
Harry Webster recalls vivdly that the engine which influenced it most
of all was the famous Citroen wet-liner *traction avant* design of the
1930s, and points out acidly that the only connection with Continental
was that both uits were eventually asked to tackle the same job on the tractor."

Later, I read that the Ferguson tractors in question were actually
being built by Standard for Ferguson to sell! So that's the real
connection -- not only were Standard supplying the engines, but also the
tractors...