Partial engine rebuild on midget 1500

To: british-cars@hoosier
Subject: Partial engine rebuild on midget 1500
From: Dean_Zywicki%NIHDCRT.BITNET@CU.NIH.GOV
Date: Thu, 07 May 92 11:16:24 EDT
|Date: 5-7-92  11:15am
|From: Dean Zywicki:dcrt:nih
|  To: {british-cars@hoosier.utah.edu}:INTERNET
|Subj: Partial engine rebuild on midget 1500
   I have the engine of my 1500 midget mostly apart and I have a few
questions for the wisdom of 'the list'.  With this being my first engine
rebuild I'm not sure what to look for in a few places.  I still haven't
been able to get the crankshaft bolt off, but I'm working around it.  I
got the head pulled off last night and things look pretty good.  I had a
rebuilt head put on about 100 miles (1 year) ago, so I knew that it was
in good shape.  BTW, the story is that the gearbox sounded like a
dishwasher so while I'm rebuilding that, I figured I'd look at the
bottom end of the engine.
   So, I pulled the pistons, but I'm not sure what they are supposed to
look like.  There is some discoloration around the gudgeon pins ona ll
of the pistons but no scoring.  The rings look alright, but again, I
don't know what to even look for.  All of the valve tappets look fine
and from looking at and feeling the cam in the block, the lobes are
smooth.  The bores look smooth, but I haven't checked for roundness yet.
   My ultimate plan was to check things and probably just replace the
rings, since everything else looks alright, and put it back together.  I
didn't intend for this to be a full rebuild, nor do I want it to slowly
turn into one.  I checked the compression before I pulled the engine and
got readings of ~150 all the way across, so I figured things would look
pretty good inside.
   If I put new rings in, I assume I would need to hone the bores.  Is
it possible to do this oneself, or is this a bad idea?

    Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated,

         Dean