Re: RE>deck the block on Scotts

To: Jerry Kaidor <Jerry_Kaidor.ENGINTWO@engtwomac.synoptics.com>
Subject: Re: RE>deck the block on Scotts
From: Captain Capsaicine <sfisher@wsl.dec.com>
Date: Thu, 07 May 92 13:49:53 PDT
            Reply to:   RE>deck the block on Scotts MG

[fa la la la la, la la la la]

    Scott writes: I really wish the
    block were out of the car so they could resurface it and countersink
    the stud holes... no, no, stop thinking that way.

    Dennis Wilson writes:

    The trick is to get an electric drill and a carbide sanding wheel then
    very carefully sand down the block deck.

If you *really* want to hear something weird, the competition manual
(as Dave Barry would say, I am not making this up) in the days of the
T Series recommended smearing the top of the block with valve lapping
compound, dropping the head on it, and carefully moving it in smooth
circles so that you got the two surfaces perfectly flat with respect
to one another.  Then you don't use ANY gasket.  It gets another third
of a compression point or something like that.  So if anyone ever lifts
the head on a TD and find a notable absence of head gasket, that's why!

(I always presumed that they washed out all the valve lapping compound
before they put the bearings in.)

    **** NO, NO, NO.  Everybody knows that you use a belt sander for that.  Then
    you take it down to the local bowling alley and have it bowl peened....

          - Jerry

Nah, I do that at home with my bowl-peen hammer!

--Scott "Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh" Fisher