Re: Mini Tossing....

To: akguc!tdm@akgua.att.com
Subject: Re: Mini Tossing....
From: Captain Capsaicine <sfisher@wsl.dec.com>
Date: Thu, 07 May 92 14:05:43 PDT
    A trebuchet is a catapult; it's not a Hillman, it's a Mini.

Um.  A trebuchet and a catapult are two quite different things, as
are Minis and Hillmans.  I have since been informed that C&D did
in fact fling a Mini; the Wall Street Journal article that I have
saved definitely specifies a Hillman.  Oh well.

As for the difference between a trebuchet and a catapult, the former
uses weight and leverage to hurl very large objects, while the latter
uses tension, typically either by twisted ropes or gut cables, and
uses a spoon-shaped lever to throw generally smaller objects.  But it
only really matters if you know the difference, say, between a falchion
and a poignard, or a cuisse and a greave.  (Why, yes, in fact, there
ARE pieces of information more useless than the good head casting
numbers of a 1275 Spridget engine...)

    "But on this day, Car and Driver, which has marveled at the
    wondrousness (SIC) of this torqued-out invention since we first
    heard of it, has come to sponsor the toss of an automobile, a cute
    little red 1975 Austin Mini, complete with an "I Love My Mini" decal.

A Mini?  What a bunch of weenies.