Re: Spridget turn signal question

To: sol@hoosier
Subject: Re: Spridget turn signal question
From: acg@hermes.dlogics.com
Date: Sat, 09 May 1992 08:47:51 CDT
jesup@cbmvax.cbm.commodore.com (Randell Jesup) writes:
>>Subject: Spridget turn signal question
>>    The reason I think it has something to do with the bulbs is that when
>> I first got the car back on the road, the signals flashed faster on one
>> side that compared to the other. When I pulled the bulbs out I noticed
>> that they were different types, and so obviously make a difference as to
>> the rate of, ahem, flash.
>
>       Check for increased resistance in the wiring to the sockets, the
> contacts, and/or the grounds.  (Probably caused by corrosion.)  Flash rate
> is directly related to current draw, so whichever side flashes slower
> probably has higher resistance.

'Tis true what you say, but I found with my Austin that (1) it was very
sensitive flash-rate-wise to what bulb type was installed, and (2) the
usual American turn signal bulb, #1156, was NOT what it wanted (too slow).
I ended up back at the dealer to purchase whatever wacky bulb number was
required, at which point everything was fine again. Wish I could remember
the number...

I'd suggest you decide which side of the car has the better blink rate and
get more bulbs of that number for the opposite side, too. (This is based on
my assumption that you swapped the bulbs to opposite sides and found that
the symptoms reversed sides, right?)

Sometimes, in a spirit of helpfulness, the manufacturer casts the correct
bulb number into the light assembly backing plate near the socket. If you
can find the numbers, and they're not the usual U.S. #1156/#1157, there
may be a good reason (or they're extremely out of date :-) ...

Andrew C. Green
Datalogics, Inc.      Internet: acg@dlogics.com
441 W. Huron          UUCP: ..!uunet!dlogics!acg
Chicago, IL  60610    FAX: (312) 266-4473