Long trips - was Re: sigh

To: cobra@cdc.hp.com, british-cars@hoosier
Subject: Long trips - was Re: sigh
From: bobj@meaddata.com (Robert Jones)
Date: Tue, 12 May 92 15:48:10 EDT
From: Roland Dudley <cobra@cdc.hp.com>

|> Jeez, british-cars has gotten awfully dead lately.  Come on, it's
|> roadster weather out there.  I'm starting to feel complacent about my
|> dead snake.  I WANT TO FEEL GUILTY!!
|>
|> Roland

Okay, since it IS roadster weather out there, I need some advice on taking
my MGB Roadster on its first extended trip ( > 1 h.r.).  I am going
white water rafting Memorial Day weekend in West Virginia and I figure
this could be a great roadster drive.  I think it is about a 5-6 hour
trip from here in Dayton through SE Ohio & part of West Virginia.
What do I need to do to make sure the car is ready?  If you've been
following my brake saga you know they are almost ready.  Hmm, maybe I better
get that EZBleed, the hills of WVa is no place for air in the lines :-0

I figure that I should flush and replace the coolant, finally replace those
old tires, and do an over-all tune-up i.e. clean & gap the plugs, set
valve lash, check the points & set the gap, set the timing (I never have done
this right, the timing marks are missing from my car, how should I do it?),
and what else?  I just changed the oil and lubed it a couple weeks ago
while chasing my high oil pressure.  I'll probably put my oil cooler
back in too.

What else should I do?  Does anyone have a long-trip checklist similiar
to Roger & Lawrence's used car checklist?  I guess that might not be a bad
place to start, actually.

What are everybody's favorite performance oriented tires that fit on an
MGB's steel wheels?  I know I asked this about a year ago and got some good
How well do 175SR14 tires work?

Lastly, does anybody know of any great roads to drive in SE Ohio or
western WVa?  You know, the kind that will make Roland feel quilty
about letting his snake slumber in the garage :-)

Bob
bobj@meaddata.com

What was it TeriAnn said, "life's too short not drive a roadster!"