Clankster Drive Report

To: british-cars@hoosier
Subject: Clankster Drive Report
From: Jerry Kaidor <Jerry_Kaidor.ENGINTWO@engtwomac.synoptics.com>
Date: 14 May 92 09:11:40
   Clankster Drive Report
It's been a week or two since the Clankster ( my TR2 ) hit the road, after some
eight months off same, and extensive on-net consultations.  I just thought
folks would be interested in some early driving impressions.

    The car has good power, but it pings a bit when accellerating from low
rpms.  This is something it never did before.  I put in 92 octane pump gas, and
retarded the timing a bit, and the car is drivable, but I really think I should
be able to get away with more advance than I'm using.  I can't really
understand why it would ping more than before;  compression should be only
slightly increased.  The machine shop took about .004 off the block, and
possibly another .002-.004 off the head.  And the cylinder diameter has been
enlarged by one millimeter.  Big deal.

Gas mileage seems to be so-so, although I haven't measured it yet.

    I was worried that the newly rebuilt engine would have acquired a tendancy
to overheat, but that has not happened.  Driving home on a hot afternoon, 30
miles up the local street of endless malls, getting stopped at every red light,
waiting endlessly with an idling engine, the temperature never got above 195.

    This morning I checked the oil, and it's down at least a quart, after 450
miles.  Is this normal or reasonable?  Hopefully, the oil consumption will go
down when the rings finish bedding in.

    Exhaust still leaks.  A friend of mine gave me a good hint for sealing up
TR2-4 exhaust systems:  You cut off some of the inlet pipe to the front
muffler.  Then weld on a larger diameter pipe, big enough to slip OVER the
downpipe.

   People have been giving me flak about my paint job.  As you remember, I
painted the Clankster in one day, right after working on the brake hydraulics.
Something about that silicone brake fluid... Representative comment:  "Did you
use a thin roller, or a big fuzzy one?" One list member was so shocked that she
immediately took her TR3's bonnet to the body shop!
All I can say, is that schedule just did not allow doing a good job.  It was
either paint it quick or let it rust.  Think of it as a coat of tough red
Cosmoline, preserving the body until I have a chance to paint it properly,
possibly in about two years.  Meanwhile, I'm  driving it :-).

   The brakes work GREAT.  Nice solid pedal.

   I'd forgotten just how cold an open roadster can be at 6:00 in the morning.
I suit up to ride, just like with a motorcycle.  Leather jacket, electric vest
( runs off a couple of banana jacks in the firewall ), woolen scarf, leather
gloves, wraparound driving glasses.  I would wear my helmet, too, but it just
isn't done :-).

   The TR2 has re-acquainted me with the sensation of "scuttle shake". What a
sick feeling.  I don't suppose there's any cure, eh?

    - Jerry