Re: Help - Spitfire suspension

To: jonb@oasis.icl.co.uk
Subject: Re: Help - Spitfire suspension
From: spit@neuro.duke.edu (Michael Burdick)
Date: Thu, 14 May 92 11:22:35 EDT
jonb@oasis.icl.co.uk (Jon Bradshaw) is having Spitfire problems:

   > Its just failed its annual (Ministry Of Transport) MOT test because
   > the 'top wishbone ball-joint' is worn.  Can someone tell me what this
   > means and how I can check it/fix it.

The ball joint is at this end of the wish bone ==>   |
                                                    / \
                                                   /   \

The ball joint consists of a squarish base that is bolted to the arms of the
wishbone and a tapered shaft that projects downward:   __________
                                                      |  O    O  |
                                                       ----------
                                                          |   |
                                                           \ /

The front wheel spindle assembly is attached to the top wishbone at this
shaft.  The shaft is free to move in the base so that as the wheel travels
through its range of motion, the shaft stays verticle.  As this joint wears,
the wheel spindle will be able to move around at the top, causing vibrations
in the steering, and possibly erratic handling.  It also can effect camber
adjustments.  To test the joint, they probably pushed and pulled on the
top of the front tire and saw too much slop.

   > ps. I have to get it fixed before Sunday morning!!

I think you should be able to do it in an afternoon.

Good luck,
=>mdb