Europa overheat, brakes

To: taylor!randy@hoosier
Subject: Europa overheat, brakes
From: pwcs.StPaul.GOV!phile@medtron.medtronic.COM (Philip J Ethier)
Date: Thu, 14 May 92 9:36:27 CDT
randy@hoosier.utah.edu writes \

\Renault powered cars. They are much more subseptable to
\small air pockets in the cooling because of the classic French engineering
\of putting the water pump at the top of the cooling jacket rather than the
\bottom. I've never figured out why they did that, and *kept on* designing that
\way even after the flaw was obvious.

There is a bleeder on the top of the water pump.  If you open it whilst the
motor is running, this should get the air out there.  Unfortunately, my car
 (and the one of netter Steve Valin) uses this bleeder connection to run
coolant to preheat the intake manifold for the 45DCOE.  Maybe we should add a
bleed valve to this little tube.  Have you had overheating problems, Steve?

I see what you mean about dumb design, Randy.  If a pump is at the bottom of a
system, it always is full of fluid no matter how low the fluid level gets or
how long the car sits.  When Brian Haglund was considering a Fuego, Larry
Felsing said "Watch out for the cooling system.  They are terrible."  I wonder
if that was the problem he had.

\Really, with the cars discussed here most, grease *everything* often!!

Really.  But most cars do not have a zerk on the parking brake cable.  So here
in Salt Heaven, Where Cars Go To Die, the parking brakes freeze.  Either you
should use them every day, or never touch the things at all.  The midget was
remarkable because I never used the brake at all, but when I tried it, it was
perfect!  That was because the last guy left it full of grease.  It had been
sitting unused for years that way.

\I'm going out on a limb here, but I believe that the brakes on the Europa
\are bigger (than Spitfire). Either Herald or Vitesse.

I have read that they are Herald drums on the rear.  The Twinks' are the same,
just 1/4" wider, I think.  I, in my Triumph ignorance, thought that the Herald
drum brakes were the same as the Spitfire.  All that MG-ism is catching up to
me now.

\some say I should trash that and just use a spell checker like other people.

Well, then you wouldn't end up with words like "subseptable"  :-)

Phil Ethier, THE RIGHT LINE, 672 Orleans Street, Saint Paul, MN  55107-2676
h (612) 224-3105     lotus@pnet51.orb.mn.org
w (612) 298-5324     phile@pwcs.stpaul.gov  (list goes here)
"The workingman's GT-40" - Colin Chapman     "It's a Mistake" - Colin Hay

--
Login name: phile                       In real life: Philip J Ethier
Phone: 298-5324