Redcar progress

To: british-cars@hoosier
Subject: Redcar progress
From: "Daren Stone, D2 IE, 5-9521, bpr:237-2322, RN2-C6" <DSTONE@SC9.intel.com>
Date: Thu, 14 May 92 09:44:16 PDT
          Well, with driver's school at Laguna Seca only one
     week away, I've begun burning the midnight oil on the
     Redcar prep work again.
          I identified about 5 things that I absolutely had
     to do before school; fit a temperature gauge, replace
     the tie rod ends, fit a wide-panel mirror, re-install
     the roll cage, and fit the unfittable- the panhard bar.
          I decided to attempt the easiest-appearing project
     first, and so jumped on the temp gauge. What I found
     was that the sending unit (mechanical) fit the block
     thread-wise, but absolutely would not seal up tight. No
     matter how tight I got the nut, the capillary tube was
     loose & would leak. So at first I thought I'd just
     replace it with an electrical unit. After getting
     prices ranging from $45 to $70 for the whole
     electrical shebang, I decided to try to seal the old
     one up one more time. I assumed that mine was leaking
     because I was missing some small part/adapter, and was
     finally confirmed on this when a helpful parts clerk
     produced a SW adapter from the back room. Very cool.
     And what, the part only costs $2.75 and I can pay w/my
     ATM card ? Even cooler. And when I get it home it fits my
     sending unit perfectly, and doesn't even come close to
     fitting my block ? Big bummer. Two more trips to the
     parts store and I still didn't have anything that'd
     fit. But I know all about thread types & flare
     fittings. I finally struck paydirt at a fitting supply
     store, where after showing them what I was trying to
     do, I was told I'd have to either tap my block for 3/8"
     pipe thread, or tap the flare adapter for 3/8" SAE.
     Apparently the A-series block is tapped for 3/8" SAE
     and the only adapter that fit the Stewart-Warner sending
     unit was 3/8" pipe. Hmmm. The upshot of all of this was
     that they comp'd me the the fittings I'd need to use.
     A quick trip to Orchard Supply and I was the proud
     owner of a 3/8" pipe tap. Back home and the block temp
     sending unit port tapped out perfectly, and 5 min. later
     all the components were in place & no leaks were apparent.
     It's amazing how having accurate info makes things so much
     simpler. One down, four to go.
          Last night was the tie-rod ends. Fighting the urge
     to succumb to the shipwright's disease, I just replaced
     them. No surprises there, and a little late-night
     reading in my Bugeye workshop manual, and tonight I'll
     shoot for centering the steering rack & setting the
     toe-in.

          More later-
                     dstone@sc9.intel.com