LBC factor calculations

To: british-cars@hoosier
Subject: LBC factor calculations
From: zrol01@trc.amoco.com (Richard O. Lindsay)
Date: Tue, 19 May 92 13:29:39 CDT
Hail SOLers,

I've seen the phrase "LBC quotient", etc. used in a few
notes that come zooming in here on my Spark2 and wonder
exactly how the(se) number(s) is(are) calculated.
For example, Berry (of berry@athos.pei.com fame) states:

>The TR-6 around the corner from my house seems to have been
>sold or traded for a Datsun 510.  Now, 510's are very nice
>little cars, but they have an insufficient LBC quotient.
>Perhaps this is why the owner never waved back  -- he wasn't
>*really* a LBC owner.

Perhaps a unified or standardized rating scale needs to be
developed.  Any ideas out there in SOL land?  I suggest a
starting point could be the ratio:

LBC Quotient = AMOUNT_OF_OIL_LEAKED / TIME_LEFT_STANDING

First of all, the AMOUNT_OF_OIL_LEAKED term would guarantee
potentially large scores for true British cars while practically eliminating
the pseudo-LBC's such as Miatas. However, the TIME_LEFT_STANDING term could be
large because of the Lucas
electrical systems.

Secondly, perhaps: TIME_OWNED / TIME_DRIVEN would be a better
measure.  This would take into account nicely the "Lucas Factor"
but still might discriminate against us Jaguar owners that
routinely create toxic waste sites on our garage floors.

This might not be so easy after all...

Ideas? Comments?  Wasted bandwidth?

Rick

     Richard O. Lindsay        /     __  __      __  __
  Senior Research Scientist   /   / /_/ /_  / / /_/ /_/
  Amoco Production Research  /   / / / /_/ /_/ / / / \
                            / /_/
                           /
My opinions are my own, untill they're worth something, at
which point they become the property of my employer...