Exhaust pipes and backfires

To: british-cars@hoosier
Subject: Exhaust pipes and backfires
From: Dennis Wilson <DWILSON@OREGON.UOREGON.EDU>
Date: Tue, 19 May 1992 15:11 PDT
At the moment I have one of the netters staying with me.  he is from Los Crusos
or something in New Mexico.  We were talking last night and we wondered why
the car tends to backfire (or sound as if it does) when you remove the
the muffler, wind up the revs then coast so the engine decelerates the car.

I thought that if you remove the muffler so shorten the pipe that a pulse
of exhuast gas from one cylinder would exit the pipe before the next comes out
so you get back pressure and air might actually reverse flow just after the
exit from the cylinder head.  Whereas with a mufler, the pipe is longer so
one pulse of gas could drag the other with it.  I'm sure that without the
muffler overall back pressure must be less (unless its a fancy muffler) which
can ONLY be good???

Why does there appear to be less tech stuff thrown around of late??
I love the tech stuff!!

Cheers DW       dwilson@oregon.uoregon.edu