Exhaust pipes and backfires

To: Dennis Wilson <DWILSON@OREGON.UOREGON.EDU>
Subject: Exhaust pipes and backfires
From: berry@athos.pei.com (Berry Kercheval)
Date: Tue, 19 May 92 16:35:46 PDT
>>>>> On Tue, 19 May 1992 15:11 PDT, Dennis Wilson <DWILSON@OREGON.UOREGON.EDU>
>said:
Dennis> X-Envelope-To: british-cars@hoosier.utah.edu
Dennis> X-Vms-To: IN%"british-cars@hoosier.utah.edu"

Dennis> At the moment I have one of the netters staying with me.  he
Dennis> is from Los Crusos or something in New Mexico.  We were
Dennis> talking last night and we wondered why the car tends to
Dennis> backfire (or sound as if it does) when you remove the the
Dennis> muffler, wind up the revs then coast so the engine decelerates
Dennis> the car.

I'm not entirely sure, but I'm pretty convinced it has to do with the
advance of the distributor.  With the throttle closed you develop
quite a vacuum in the intake manifold which retards (I think) the
spark a lot.  It may get retarded so far that the sparking-plug fires
while the exhaust valve is closing.  Crackle-crackle-crackle!

This pretty much went away on Sybil when her distributor got rebuilt,
so the ("previously frozen") centrifugal advance weights could
compensate for the effect.

  --berry