RE: Exhaust pipes and backfires

To: british-cars@hoosier, DWILSON@OREGON.UOREGON.EDU
Subject: RE: Exhaust pipes and backfires
From: "Daren Stone, D2 IE, 5-9521, bpr:237-2322, RN2-C6" <DSTONE@SC9.intel.com>
Date: Wed, 20 May 92 06:22:06 PDT
     I've always thought that the reason for exhaust
     backfires was that the exhaust system was configured in
     such a way that the exhaust pulses from one cylinder
     could effectively draw the unburnt gas/air mixture from
     another cylinder, and when it arrives into the hot
     exhaust pipe it is set off. Thus combustion occurs
     outside of the combustion chamber. I haven't had my
     second cup of java yet so I don't think I should
     explore as to why I think it happens mainly when you
     get off the throttle. Don't know what it means for
     power either, but it sure sounds neat !

          cheers-
                    dstone@sc9.intel.com