Re: Mystery box

To: british-cars@hoosier, phabib@apple.com
Subject: Re: Mystery box
From: tsang@cs.washington.edu (Donald Tsang)
Date: Tue, 19 May 92 20:54:50 -0700
>When I had the intake manifold off my TR7 to change the water pump, I found
>a small box screwed to the firewall.  The box was labeled "Lucas Electronic
>Ignition Amplifier"  It had a 2 wire connector comming out of it.  It was not
>connected to anything and I found no matching connector anywhere to attach
>to it.
>
>The ignition seems to work fine without it, so I'm wondering what this thing
>is.  Was it original?  Was it installed at the factory on all firewalls and
>only hooked up for some models of electronic ignition modules?

I've seen one of those, too, in my '78 TR7.  It's exactly what it says:
an op-amp.  Apparently, the Lucas electronic ignition is weak.  Both of
mine had third-party electronic ignitions in them already, and my '79
had its replaced by the solid state Allison version (very nice, btw).

I thought there were supposed to be four wires connected to the amplifier;
perhaps it's common-ground.

Ahwell...

ObQuestion: how much should I pay for
(a) new muffler/tailpipe?  (Midas quoted about $230, including everything)
(b) new shocks and struts? (estimates from two shops: $450 and $600,
    the $600 includes actual new struts instead of just cartridges)

  Donald Tsang                If you need TR7 waterpump help, ask me.
  tsang@cs.washington.edu     (rather, ask my dad, but ask me for his # :-)