re: RE>USA Today

To: Jerry_Kaidor.ENGINTWO@engtwomac.synoptics.com
Subject: re: RE>USA Today
From: whs70@dancer.cc.bellcore.com (sohl,william h)
Date: 20 May 1992 9:00 EDT
>So why not post the contents of your letter?
>
>     - Jerry

OK, given there's been at least three requests for the letter....
NOTE - The photo-radar issue is HOT here in NJ because the state
is in a trial test period.  No tickets being issued, just testing.
There was a NJ Senate hearing on Monday and the state police came
under heavy fire on the issue and had few answers to some very
hard questions.  The one thing that may come out of this on a
positive note is that it is forcing the legislature to address the
highway speed limits issue which is the real issue.

Anyway, here's my letter that I sent USA Today.

I oppose photo-radar.  Not because I believe I have a right to speed, but
because I first have a right to rational and reasonable speed limits.  Speed
limits on American highways are ignored because people drive at speeds they
believe are safe and efficient, regardless of what the signs say.  Odd, that in
support of photo-radar USA Today points to its use in Europe, yet fails to
report that European speed limits are well above ours.

USA Today claims photo-radar does not discriminate.  Fact is, photo-radar
discriminates against the individual owner of a motor vehicle. because he or she
is the ONLY person that can truly ever be convicted of a photo-radar ticket.  If
someone else was driving, then the vehicle owner would not be the person in the
picture, therefore...not guilty.  Unless you own a motor vehicle you'll never
get a photo-radar ticket...or, will there be an effort to "force" the owner to
identify who was driving?  Will the law make the owner guilty, regardless of who
was driving?  Are we willing to surrender the legal principal that someone is
innocent UNLESS proven guilty?  Then too, there are those millions of vehicles
that are registered to corporations, leasing companies, multiple owners, who
gets those tickets?

Say no to photo-radar!

Bill Sohl
Member, National Motorists Association
Bill Sohl (K2UNK) BELLCORE (Bell Communications Research, Inc.)
Morristown, NJ             email via UUCP      bcr!dancer!whs70
201-829-2879 Weekdays      email via Internet  whs70@dancer.cc.bellcore.com