Things

To: british-cars@hoosier.utah.edu
Subject: Things
From: gerry@probe.att.com
Date: Fri, 22 May 92 09:10 EDT
Ric Golen writes:::
> both the Rabbit GTI and Grizabella. Question is what do I run for
> tire pressures on the MG? Right now I have 155/13 Continentals
> all the way round.

I pump mine up to 35 psi ( I have Pirelli P77 175/13 tyres)

Ron writes :
>The overdrive works, but seems to engage fairly slowly (5 - 10 seconds).
>Is this typical?  If not, anything I should be doing about it?

It sounds as if your oil level is low. Top up the gearbox and see if things
improve. A few years ago I have a small leak from the gearbox, and a sure sign
that the gearbox needed topping up was when the overdrive took more that
2 seconds to engage.

>I read through the owners manual, and it specified 91 octane for the fuel.
>This struck me as being rather high, but I don't really have anything to
>base this on.  What kind of gas are people using in their Triumphs?

Ignore the manual, the car is old enough now that you probably do not
know its history. There may have been changes made to the engine that
you are not aware off (ie, head milled, pollution equipement disconnected
or not working, timing curve changed etc etc). Use the lowest octane
gas that does not cause any pinging. If 87 octane causes pinging,
go up a grade, if this still causes pinging go up another grade etc -
I am assuming here that the engine is properly tuned and timing set correctly.

Gerry