Brit Brakes on old SAAB, help

To: british-cars@hoosier.utah.edu
Subject: Brit Brakes on old SAAB, help
From: pwcs.StPaul.GOV!phile@medtron.medtronic.COM (Philip J Ethier)
Date: Tue, 26 May 92 12:57:26 CDT
I used to have a SAAB 850GT, later known as the Monte Carlo.  Chevy just picked
the name, SAAB earned it.

These cars had 4-bolt wheels instead of the five-bolts on regular 3-banger
SAABs of the period (early 60s).  The reason is that they had disk brakes on
the front rather than the drums of the more pedestrian SAABs.  At some point,
either at the time of the V4 changeover or just before, all SAABs went to
swinging-caliper (pie-shaped pads, honest!) disks using the regular 5-bolt
wheels.

The point of this missive is that the 850GT / Monte Carlo used the four-bolt
wheels of a smaller bolt circle to accommodate British disk brakes.
I no longer have the old ice racer, but I got a call from a SAAB owner looking
for brake parts for one.

Does anyone know what kind of brakes these are?  What other (presumably
British) cars would they would fit on?  I never asked when I had mine.

Respond to Bruce Bakke at brucelb@pnet51.orb.mn.org

Bruce is new to the net.  He is not a member of british-cars, but is attempting
to join the SAAB list.

Phil Ethier, THE RIGHT LINE, 672 Orleans Street, Saint Paul, MN  55107-2676
h (612) 224-3105     lotus@pnet51.orb.mn.org
w (612) 298-5324     phile@pwcs.stpaul.gov  (list goes here)
"The workingman's GT-40" - Anthony Colin Bruce Chapman

--
Login name: phile                       In real life: Philip J Ethier
Phone: 298-5324