Re: Topless Mini

To: british-cars@hoosier.utah.edu, gerry@probe.att.com
Subject: Re: Topless Mini
From: deeds@vulcan1.hac.com ( Dean Deeds)
Date: Wed, 27 May 92 15:09:06 PDT
gerry@probe.att.com writes --

>I know there is a cottage industry which survives by choppin the
>tops of Minis. The one that comes to mind is Tickford, who made a
>convertible along the same lines as the VW Cabriolet, ie with intergral
>roll-bar etc. Then there is a company in Kent who does the same thing and
>operates out of an old thatched mill. I am sure there are more

Does Tickford still exist?*  I associate the name with prewar
bodies on MGs and such (didn't they do a pretty little coupe on
the TA?).  I know some Mini (related) covertibles were done by
Crayford (hope I've got that right); I've seen a few of their
conversions on the Riley Elf/Wolseley Hornet variants of the Mini.
They left the door and quarter-window frames intact, and kept the
original side glass.  I've also, as I recollect, seen an Elf with
no fixed side glass, but the details elude me.  Rollups, I guess...

(Is the plural Elfs or Elves? :-) )

As has been mentioned, there are also private chop-jobs out there
on the roads.  One of the slickest (I've only seen photos) was done
by Chet Duncan [I think] in Los Angeles many years ago.  Besides being
roadsterized, it was lowered and flared, and given an MGB windshield
which looked much better than the upright Mini screen.  It also, not
incidentally, received the two-engine treatment, first with 1100s,
later with hot 1275 S units.  It was said to do 0-60 in under 4 seconds.

Where is it now...?

Dean Deeds
deeds@vulcan1.edsg.hac.com

*(Not to doubt you, Gerry.)