Re: Radar, Revenuers, Ragtops, Radios, Ramblings and Revela

To: acg@hermes.dlogics.com
Subject: Re: Radar, Revenuers, Ragtops, Radios, Ramblings and Revela
From: pwv@tc.fluke.COM (Pat Vilbrandt)
Date: Wed, 27 May 92 16:06:45 PDT
> Now, I'm guessing that a few of you have just spluttered, "Hey, he's talking
> about ----- -----'s car!" Perhaps the owner himself is logged in somewhere.
> Anyway, the thought occurred to me that it might be neat to have some sort
> of discreet (No! Really BIG) decal or grille badge that would identify
> members of our illustrious electronic car club gathered here today. Perhaps
> a shield, say, displaying a wire wheel with a lightning bolt through it,
> hovering over a puddle of oil. The wheel would be missing several spokes,
> as a symbol of our eternal search for parts. Perhaps someone well-versed in
> heraldry might like to cook up a nice description and sample. Any other
> ideas?
>
> Andrew C. Green
> Datalogics, Inc.      Internet: acg@dlogics.com
> 441 W. Huron          UUCP: ..!uunet!dlogics!acg
> Chicago, IL  60610    FAX: (312) 266-4473

Hi Andrew,

This issue came up early on in the life of this list, and Ed Devinney can up
with a very nice crossed rod & spanner on a Union Jack background, with a BRG
"SOL" emblazened across the front.  I made some color (paper) copies of it
and sent a bunch out to various people for comment, and the response was
generally favorable.  But, when it came down to what people would like done
with it, the responses were evenly split between T-shirts, Jackets, Patches,
Flags, Decals, ...  Since neither Ed nor I had the time or resources to
pursue all these, it sorta died.  I've still toyed around with the idea
of getting some shirts or decals made up.  (In fact, I've even made up the
color seperations, got the PostScript files around here somewhere...)

Ok, I just called a local place that has done some shirts for us in the past.
It looks like I could get 25 shirts made up for about $290 (100% cotton) or
$270 (50%-50%).  So, with shipping it looks like I could get shirts made
for about $15 (100%) each ($13 for 50%-50%).  Does this sound reasonable?
Would anyone be interested?  (This would be for a single, 4-color image,
either on the back or the front of the shirt.)  (Actually, I'd prefer a
polo shirt with a 3"x4" patch over the left breast pocket, but that would
run about $18-19 per shirt.)

I'll also check around for prices to get a decal made, maybe something
in the 4"x5" size?

What say ye?  Would this be worth my while?

   Pat Vilbrandt       John Fluke Mfg. Co., Inc.        Everett, Washington USA
UUCP: pwv@tc.fluke.COM  or: { uunet, uw-beaver, sun, microsoft }!fluke!pwv
ARPA: fluke!pwv@uw-beaver.ARPA

        "Read dozens of books about Heros and Crooks, and I learned much
                 from both of their styles."
                                        - J. Buffet,  Son of a Son of a Sailor